Monday, September 10, 2007

New job

I started a second job this past week. I figured since my main tax gig will only last through October 15th, I should have another job to tide me over until next February or so. So I handed my resume out to a few places and got a hit.


The job is doing bookkeeping – payroll, financial statements, and the like. It’s VERY part-time (like about 15 hrs a week), so for the next month I’m hoping I’ll be able to do both this and taxes at the same time, and after that the bookkeeping will have to pay the bills.


Trouble is, I’m not a big fan of this new place. Maybe it’s just because it’s so different from Harold’s office. Maybe I just need time to adjust. I’m hoping that’s the case. At Harold’s office, it doesn’t really matter when you show up or what you look like – as long as the job gets done Harold’s happy. Heck, during tax season we usually turn the radio on in the barn or watch Days of Our Lives.


So let me just rant for a minute here as I’ve got a few things to get off my chest.
At the new place it’s your typical “Office Space”-type job. Dress code, strict hours, and I swear it’s as quiet as a library in there. I feel strange even making a phone call in there because everything else is so deadly quiet. And I’m not making it up when I say there’s an older guy with thick glasses named Milton. He shuffles around and mumbles when he speaks. It’s really odd. I’m not sure my manager even knows my name. I haven’t had a REAL conversation with anyone else in the office (i.e. one that lasts more than 3 minutes or is non-work related) the two weeks I’ve been working. All in all, it kind of creeps me out there.


So that’s the scoop. If I can last 5 months there it’ll have served its purpose and I can get the heck out of there. At least I can work late afternoons and have the mornings to paddle and hike and such. Or watch my stories.

5 Comments:

Blogger Marsie said...

That does sound creepy. Weird that you would find such a strict office in Hawaii - that seems sort of contradictory, doesn't it?

9/11/2007 8:42 AM  
Blogger heeble said...

Yep, sure does. For what it's worth, today wasn't quite as bad as it has been.

9/11/2007 10:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i believe you have my stapler.

haha, seriously dude, stick it out for 5 months, then see if you can get yourself fired, just to have the full "office space" experience!

9/12/2007 10:53 PM  
Blogger Mikie said...

Wow. You said it was quiet and what not... but it's sounding pretty extreme. Are you allowed to like, have earphones to listen to while you crunch numbers? Music always things bearable for me.

9/13/2007 7:37 AM  
Blogger heeble said...

hmmm, get fired, eh? i'm thinkin maybe i'll start putting people's calculators in jello to make it more like "The Office" than "Office Space". i just gotta keep on top of those TPS reports at the same time.

and maybe i'll ask if i can listen to music there - nobody else does, and it doesn't seem like the sort of place that would allow it, but it's worth a shot. i'll let you know how it goes.

9/13/2007 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home