Saturday, November 24, 2007

Update



I haven’t updated this thing in forever, so here’s a recap of the highlights of the past few months.
First thing is I quit the job I didn’t like. Eventually I got into the groove and the job wasn’t too horrible, but it just didn’t have the “family” feeling of working at Harold’s. Looking back, I think I’ve always quit a job because I was moving or going back to school or some other valid reason. This is the first time I quit just because I didn’t feel like working there. It was a strange feeling. But a good one.




My parents came to visit not long ago. Unfortunately they came at the very worst time for me – around October 15th. Things were a little insane at Harold’s office because of the October 15th deadline for extentioned (wow, that’s not a word?) taxes, and quarterly reports were due at my 2nd job. I was working from 8:30-6 every day, and very stressed out. I did get to hang out with them on Saturday and Sunday, and then again on the day they left, so all was not lost. We took them on the swinging bridges hike, took them to our favorite beaches, went out to eat at some nice places – it was great.

On 10/28, the annual Xterra off-road triathlon world championship was held here. I wasn’t doing anything else on a Sunday morning, so I headed down to watch some real athletes. It was a beautiful day, and it made me realize I miss the thrill of running races. I’m usually not one for competition, but there’s something about pushing your body to see what it can do that’s addictive. Hard to describe, but, yeah, I’d like to do another ½ marathon or something.

On 11/4 the canoe club paddled a couple of boats out to Molokini. I’m not sure how many miles off shore it is, but it seemed like a long way. We started early in the morning, and while crossing the channel we paddled in some of the roughest water I’ve been in. It was a blast. When we got to Molokini there were 1 or 2 dive boats around, but other than that we had the place to ourselves. The snorkeling wasn’t great because there was a storm rolling in and the sky was cloudy, but it was decent. It’s a little hard to believe that I’ve friggin lived on Maui almost a year and this was my first time to Molokini. But the cloudy weather was just right for intense paddling – kept us cool. And it just started to rain when we were pulling the boats back into shore a few hours later.

Last weekend we had a surf/BBQ/day at the beach single’s branch activity. The surf was looking good, the food was good, and it was fun to just sit and talk with friends. Unfortunately I didn’t catch a single wave which was insanely frustrating.
My birthday was a good one. I went to the beach and just sat on the sand, read a book, jumped in the water, repeated, for a couple of hours. Steve and Chris and I went out to dinner at the Fish Market in Paia for dinner. I got a good bundle of presents from my parents including some white dress shirts that I really needed – a lot of clothes here are made with big polys in mind I think. We looked everywhere and they don’t carry my size dress shirt anywhere on the island.
Then I decided I’d buy myself a surfboard for my birthday. I looked at a few surf shops and took my time deciding what would be a good first board, and I finally decided on one this last Sunday. I took it out on the water yesterday, and I’m really happy with it. Should be a good learning board.
Anyway, that’s the quick and dirty. Overall, life’s been good.

15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

yay, an update!!! Sounds like you are living the dream man, except worky work, no one dreams of that :). I love the updates tho, makes me sooooo jealous.

11/25/2007 2:40 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Jeff! I hear you're coming to visit in April... we're camping in Moab in April! I have the site on April 11, but I would gladly switch the reservation (so it's after the 15th) if there's a chance you (and maybe Mini!) want to come! :)

That's a nice-looking surf board, by the way... happy belated birthday! :)

11/26/2007 11:36 AM  
Blogger heeble said...

steve - haha, I dreamed about work not long ago - it involved my boss dying and a zombie attack. ya know, typical heff dream.

and yeah, mel, if you could postpone that trip by a week I would be stoked! I'll inform mini about any plans, too.

11/26/2007 11:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

well i don't know if the death your boss and a zombie attack qualify as "work dream", but it sure does qualify as awesome!! I mean "ZOMG, Zombie Boss, I don't care you are going to fire me, you can't eat my brains!" Have you been playing resident evil lately or something?

11/26/2007 11:44 PM  
Blogger heeble said...

at the time, no. but it sure put me in the mood for it!

11/27/2007 1:33 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Okay, Heeble! I re-did the reservation so we head to Devil's Garden on the 18th instead of the 11th. Moab in 6 months! Hooray! :)

11/27/2007 12:01 PM  
Blogger Mikie said...

Haha, awesome-- way to buy a surf board. And woo for moab :D I hear it snowed there over the weekend, haha. WTH? No snow in Salt Lake but blanketed in Moab. Figures...

Thanks for the update. Oh man. I so miss Hawaii... I'd love to spend a day the way you did your birthday... just hanging out on the beach, taking a dip, etc. *sigh*

Anyways, good to see some pictures and what's going on :)

11/27/2007 3:42 PM  
Blogger Marsie said...

I think you would totally love that crazy relay-race Mel and I did this year. It pushes you mentally and emotionally, as well as physically! Ah...Team Sarcasm.

11/27/2007 10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Moab! Yay Team Sarcasm! Yeah, Jeff, you'd totally love the Wasatch Back Relay - it does push you in almost every way imaginable. But it's fun. (I can say that now that it's OVER...)

Everyone was excited when the possibility of you camping with us in Moab came up - so everyone was on board to change the dates, if it meant that you can be there! No worries! :) Mar's right - camping in Moab is still fun, but isn't quite the same without you and Mini, hehehe.

11/28/2007 10:25 AM  
Blogger heeble said...

*blush* That's about the nicest thing anyone has ever said about mini and me. well, mini at least. I'm so looking forward to April.

So when is the rocky relay? it sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

11/28/2007 10:46 AM  
Blogger Marsie said...

It's called the Ragnar Wasatch Back Relay: http://www.ragnarrelay.com/wasatchback/index.php

I think they're holding it in early June next year. It's pretty intense! (I had to run 7 miles down a dark canyon road at 2am for one of my race legs. It's nuts!)

11/28/2007 6:48 PM  
Blogger Mikie said...

No kidding. You should have seen the awesome outfit I had as a volunteer at that race. The t-shirt was too small and the florescent vest? More like a bra on me. So silly!

The best was that tall, stacked guy that ran through wearing those tight, short spandex shorts, no shirt, a cape (like some sort of hero costume) and wouldn't say anything but "I only believe in science" in a German accent. He was just a complete clown / showoff, hehehe.

11/29/2007 5:03 PM  
Blogger heeble said...

that looks like a sweet race. let me know if you do it again cause i would love to give it a go. how'd you find out about this thing anyway?

11/29/2007 5:18 PM  
Blogger Marsie said...

We knew about it because Mel and Melissa have volunteered at an "exchange" for the last few years (they had friends who ran it). Then this year, they let Mel and me join the team.

And hey - we were discussing the possibility of putting our own 12-person team together for next year. Even Jesse, whom I think we almost ruined at that half-marathon, found the whole race so awesome (he volunteered with Mike), that he's contemplating running in it next year, too!

11/29/2007 7:26 PM  
Blogger Matt and Lisa said...

Jeff,

This is your cousin, Lisa. I was reading the comments and the Wasatch Back Relay is very fun. You should do it if you get the chance. I did it two summers ago. Our team came in 2nd to last place!!!! We are planning on racing again this year.

Just a small request...If you could post more often, we here in the cold states would really appreciate it! I love hearing about all of your adventures.

Merry Christmas!
Lisa

12/17/2007 8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home