Friday, January 27, 2006

sharks

Most of the southern U.S. map was covered in water. The whole family was vacationing in a southern state somewhere, right on the waterline. We were all packed into a van with a hatchback, and we were lounging in the car while the car was sitting on the beach overlooking the ocean. Part of the beach would fall away as the water kept coming in, and we would have to keep moving the car. Mom & dad & I were in the very back of the car with our feet almost in the water. Off to the left, we could see some volcanic activity. Molten lava would spurt up here & there, a brilliant orange. I made a comment to dad about how we might be the southern-most people in the U.S. at that moment. Suddenly, there were two short radar beeps. My dad asked, “Where’s Ed’s radar?” but it was nowhere to be found. My brain was thinking that if it was big enough to set off radar equipment it couldn’t be too good. Moments later, my worst fears were confirmed, it was a shark. I dove forward away from the water into the front of the car, and turned around just in time to see a huge shark jump up and sink its teeth into my parents’ legs. They continued to sit on their beach chairs as if nothing peculiar was going on. The shark’s teeth sunk deep into their skin, and as the shark pulled away into the water, I could see it had a good chunk of leg in its mouth. My dad turned around, lifted his leg, and said, “Did you see my leg kids?” Half of his lower leg was gone, except for the white bone sticking out of the ragged flesh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Travis Butterfield said...

that reminds me of those "lessons" George Bluth would teach his kids on Arrested Development -- where he would have the guy with the prosthetic arm come and freak them out. Ha ha ha. So awesome.

1/27/2006 10:01 AM  
Blogger Mikie said...

Haha, MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY travis!

1/28/2006 7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home