Tuesday, June 03, 2008

words. Lots of words.

So here’s a recap of some of my trip back to mainland a while back. 'Bout time I got around to typing some of this stuff up.

Moab – ah, good times with the Sloans/Knights (heretofore to be called simply “the Sloans”) again. It’s been too long. I pretty much stepped off the plane, unloaded some stuff at the parents’ house and headed out with the Sloans. The two things I remember most about the trip? (1) Hanging out at the campfire and just talking story pretty much all day and (2) the dust. Good crap, the dust. Things were pretty windy there which kicked up the dirt some. People would disappear into the tents to take a nap and emerge looking like they’d been buried alive and just dug their way out.

We did get some hiking in as well, and some driving and hangin out in Moab, too. Oh, and I can’t forget dinner at Sam Hawk’s on the way to Moab.

Back at the parent’s house in Sandy was nice. It was good to see, well, the parents, plus Annie and Ed and Josie again. Unfortunately things were pretty cold and it even snowed one day. I had planned on spending some alone time in the mountains and maybe hike Lake Blanche or something while I was there, but because of the snow in the mountains that was a no-go. Man, I can’t believe how fast Josie has grown up. Such a cute girl.

Oh, and I also got to eat some of my favorite foods while I was there, too. A pastrami burger from Apollo Burger, a pizza bender from Italian Village, and a nice big Costa Vida (Cedar City’s imitation Café Rio) burrito. Man, there’s got to be a way to get those things over here, eh? *drool*

I then headed to Cedar City for a night. Mini was in the middle of finals so I didn’t get to hang out with her too much, but it was nice of her to show me hospitality. The house she lives in basically has no heat, so I wrapped up in 5 different blankets, plus a couple of hot water bottles at my feet and my hoodie pulled up over my head. Despite Cedar’s best efforts, I survived the night.

I then headed over to the Ponderosa to visit Steve and Chris. It was so strange to be back there. I spent most of my time hiking by myself just because Chris and Steve were busy putting the spa together and fixing up their trailer. I had to hike the big stuff of course – angels landing and observation point. I hung out in the hottub some, too, which was fun. No real need of a hottub here so it’d been a while.
When Chris and Steve were able to take some time off we drove through the park and hung out in Springdale or at Steve’s parents’ house in Rockville.

Then it was back to Cedar City to brave the house of ice again. Mini graduated that Saturday, so it was great timing that I’d be on the mainland just in time for that. The whole family traveled there to see it, and it was good to have all the brothers and sisters together again.

One of the main purposes in driving home was shipping my car over to Hawaii so I needed to drive it to California. And I figured while I was in California I might as well spend some time in Yosemite like I’ve always wanted to. I had been there before with Chris and Steve but we just happened to drive in the day before the first huge winter storm of the year and we got snowed out. So this was redemption. I have a friend from Maui who had just moved back to the mainland to finish some school and his parents live about 3 hours from Yosemite, so we met up in the park. The park was beautiful. The winter was just melting away so the waterfalls were running full speed and everything was green and springy. Just perfect.

Anyway, I’d always wanted to hike half dome, so that was goal #1. We started early in the morning and it took most of the day. Nearing the dome we ran into something I didn’t expect – snow. And lots of it. At some points the trail was completely buried for long stretches and it was up to us to blaze our own trail up the mountain. And me in my chocos. You really had to dig your toes into the snow because a slip could mean a long slide down a big snowy hill and possibly off a cliff or something, so I manned up and dug my freezing toes in.

Then at the base of the dome, I almost turned back around. Without actually being there it’s hard to tell, but the friggin dome looks strait up. Like maybe a 80% angle or something. It was insane. And to make matters worse, usually the cables up the dome are supported by wooden planks across the ground (I assume like a latter) and bars that hold the cables up at arm level. Yeah, those weren’t up yet. The cables were just sitting there dangling on the mountain. At this point I was glad I was with Dave cause that kid’s certifiably insane and he’ll do anything. And force everyone he’s with to do it too. So we grabbed onto the cables and started our way up. It was the longest 500 feet of my hiking career. Of course Dave was all over the place and he’s like, “Dude take a picture of me,” and I’d be like, “no damn way I’m taking my hands off this cable so I can take your frickin picture.”

But joy of joys, we made it to the top. The only thing that diminished the time spent on top of the dome was the fact that I now had to survive shimmying down the cables and hiking down the steep slopes of snow in basically sandals to get safely home. But it was worth it.

On the top there were a couple domesticated critters – a couple squirrels and, I dunno, a badger? You tell me. But one of us would stay awake and throw rocks at the brave and stupid critters that would try to approach us while the other person slept.

Long story short, I made it back down the mountain. We were probably 2 of 8 people that went to the top that day. Pretty cool.

From there we spent a night under the stars in Yosemite valley. We built a campfire and talked with a bunch of rock climbers that were pretty stoned but really cool people. The next day we rented some bikes and tried to recover from the day before. After that we headed to Dave’s parents’ house for a night.

From there I drove the car to Long Beach. Steve has a brother that lives sorta in the area and he was kind enough to drive me to a hotel next to the airport so I could get a good night’s rest and catch my plane early the next day. As I had some dinner at the Denny’s there at the hotel I talked with a cool girl from Europe who was just graduated and just touring the world. Gutsy is all I can say.

And that brings me back to Maui. My car has arrived in one piece, I’m happy to report. Now there’s the matter of selling the other cars that I clearly don’t need to keep around any longer. More on life on Maui later.

4 Comments:

Blogger Marianne said...

Man - my accomplishment at climbing Half Dome now PALES in comparison to yours! (And I felt so accomplished!) It is beautiful, though. And one of the animals you saw up there was probably a marmot. Jesse has funny stories about marmots stealing his food. Yosemite really is gorgeous - I hope to get back there again sometime soon.

6/04/2008 10:25 AM  
Blogger Mikie said...

Hahaha... I remember something about nutrageous, right Mar?

In any case, wow that sounds like a crazy hike, doing that last part in the snow and what not. I have to say I love the image you created of throwing rocks at the animals to keep 'em away while the other slept.

6/04/2008 12:38 PM  
Blogger heeble said...

ah, a marmot! the mystery is solved. thanks mar.

6/05/2008 9:42 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Yup - just try to eat a nutrageous around Jesse without hearing the marmot story. ;)

6/05/2008 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home