Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Moab again


So went to Moab again with the Sloans. Last time we went there was a half marathon to run, the weather was crappy, my tent broke, and it was otherwise a mediocre camping trip. So this trip was a bit of a makeup for that.

We drove into town and things were jumping. I’ve never seen Moab that busy before. The first two hours or so were spent driving around looking for an open camping spot, but there were none to be found. We even checked the crappy little RV parks – to no avail. Finally we drove far enough up one canyon to find a sort of spot that at least had a portapotty. Using an old car rim we set up a nice little fire. Both nights were spent talking about “naked steamroller” and animals with “the hooves of a bear” and laughing our butts off.

The next day we did some hiking in Arches, notably to Delicate Arch. Here are a couple pictures from that.




Earlier on Saturday we also hiked around our campsite a little, and found some cool things. There must have been someone who put together a Native American dwellings show or something, because we found a rock house, a cave, and a kiva within 50 yards of each other. Very cool. We kicked around the idea of having a little ceremony in the kiva that night, but it never happened. Maybe later this year we’ll go back and try it out.




Anyway, it was a good trip. Thanks again, Sloans, for inviting me and my sis along.

And here’s some panoramic goodness of Delicate Arch (pops). Warning: picture is about 1.26 megs.

(And yeah, it was my first time to Delicate Arch, so I took a lot of pictures.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Mikie said...

It really wouldn't be the same without you, Jeffe. Glad you and Mini could both make it =D Man that was a good time.

Also, thanks for doing the write up. Now I don't have to :D

And lastly-- that panoramic shot of delicate is just sweet. I wonder why I've never taken the time to learn how to do those panoramic shots... That's just excellent work my friend.

5/02/2006 10:34 PM  
Blogger heeble said...

thanks! panoramics are fun.

5/03/2006 9:01 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Thanks for posting my backside on the net, Jeffe... at least I don't look as much like a balloon as in the Crazy Pills picture! :)

5/03/2006 4:08 PM  
Blogger Amberae said...

Look at that blue sky! oh, I wish i was back there. I might make a weekend trip before gas gets too expensive and the desert gets too hot.

5/03/2006 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home