Thursday, August 17, 2006

K, so a quick update



on how I'm doing. I'm working at the Zion Ponderosa on the east rim of Zion National Park. I really love my job here. It gets a little repetative at times (especially the food in the cafeteria), but otherwise it's great. I'm a recreation guide, which means guests here sign up for activities and I'm in charge of the making sure things go smoothly and the guests are safe. We do a variety of different things - paintball, ATV tours, archery, shooting (.22s and 20-guage shotguns), fishing, etc. We even do some rappelling excursions down Orderville Canyon (pictured above, and which I've assistant guided on a few times) and Birch Creek Canyon.

On my days off I try to get hikes in (I still need to do the bigger stuff like the subway and the narrows) which I love. Below are pictures of Observation Point and Cable Mountain.

Otherwise things are good. My sister Christin finished up massage therapy school in Cedar City and has joined me and my brother-in-law Steve here at the resort. It's fun to have the Hawaii crew together again. And Steve's assistant recreation manager, Potato, is contemplating coming with us, too.

There were a few busy weeks but now that school's starting back up the guests are dwindling and most of the staff are heading off in diverse directions. Tonight is a sort of farewell party for everyone. Basically it'll be Steve, me, and 3 others doing all the recreation starting next week. We'll see how that goes.

Anyway, those are the highlights for now. I'll try and write again soon.

Observation Point (along the trail):

Observation Point (at the top):

Cable Mountain (along the trail):

Cable Mountain (at the top):

2 Comments:

Blogger Amberae said...

wow, i was there in march... doesn't look as snowy now ; )

and its so green and beautiful. i'm feeling jealous...

8/18/2006 9:39 AM  
Blogger Mikie said...

Glad to see an update, heeble :) Looks like life is good down south, what a great way to live! I'm stoked for havasupai, tho i'm out of shape. Hopefully a hike or 2 before then will help ;)

8/19/2006 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home