Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Good Life

Another picture of the crew just because I'm not blinking in this pic:


Well, life has been different since getting back from vacation. The big change is no Chris and Steve. It was nice getting to know them better over the last year and a half - they're pretty cool people. Yeah, things are lonely in the house with just me. Pros? Sitting around watching movies at full blast whist naked. Sleeping in Chris and Steve's huge king-sized bed. Con? I miss Taco Bell runs with the family. Anyway, it sounds like they won't be coming back (except maybe for a quick visit) until next year some time, so I better get used to it, eh?

Over the summer the work schedule is pretty lax. I'm working Mon-Wed for about 6 hours a day. It's enough to pay the bills and that's about it. But what else do I need right now?

The other days are pretty much spent at the beach doing various... beach... activities. The main thing right now is paddling. At 5:15am Tues and Thurs mornings and early saturday and sunday we have paddling practice. We had our first regatta last May 31st. I guess I wasn't prepared for how big an event it was. I was there about 7:00am and was there until about 5:30pm or something. Sorry, Mom, I got a little more sun than I should have.

Our crew did pretty well. We held the lead for the first half of the race and through the turn, and ended up fifth in the end. Last week we ended up fourth, but it was a dang close race with us being about 7 seconds from first place. Anyway, it's lots of fun and it keeps me in shape. Another 5 weeks or so of races and then long distance season starts up.

If you're interested, some pictures of the regattas are here: http://www.kiheicanoeclub.com. I'm in a few of them if you can find them.

Late Friday (Friday the 13th) afternoon I decided to go surfing so I called up my coworker Bret and we headed out. The surfing was great - the waves were huge. I got pounded as much as I caught waves, but all in all it was a good surf day. However, as I was leaving the ocean I came out at a different spot than when I went into the water. Much to my surprise I stepped on something pokey. That combined with the waves coming into shore brought me to my knees. I tried to sit a spell till the current set of waves passed and I could see the ground more clearly but that didn't happen. I tried my best to just walk in as fast as I could, but I just stepped on more spikes. I finally got into shore and my feet started burning. Yep, I had had my first encounter with Sea Urchins. I hobbled as best I could back to the car and let Bret know that he was driving me to the after-hours clinic.

Turns out there's not much you can do for urchin stings. They've got these glass-like barbs that just break up if you try to remove them from your feet. So I continue to hobble around like an old man for now. Oh, and they also gave me a Tetanus shot for good measure. And of course Saturday was Regatta day. My shoulder was pretty sore from the shot and that along with the not being able to walk thing made me sit out this series of races. It just wasn't quite the same sitting on the sidelines cheering the team on. And our team didn’t do so well this week. I’m hoping my shoulder feels good enough to practice with tomorrow. We’ll see how that goes.


So that's life right now. The boss man is on vacation for a couple of weeks so I have nothing better to do than study for the CPA exams and hang out at the beach. I'll keep you posted on anything else that goes on.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mikie said...

Sea urchins eh? Ouch! Haha, loved the part about chilling at home watching movies full blast naked. That's freedom for ya ;)

6/15/2008 5:14 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Jeff your always doing something exciting, you naked urchin stung guy. we miss taco bell runs too, we actually have not been back to taco bell since. We'll wait till we can all go together. love chris

6/27/2008 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home